Monday, December 27, 2010

Why I Love Ugly Christmas Sweaters

It's true, I love ugly Christmas sweaters. I love the bright colors, cartoonish reindeer, floppy snowflakes, chubby snowmen, dancing swans in Santa suits. I even love the insane combination of yarn on felt on faux-wool.

I love the smiles on people's faces when they see me walk in to a room adorned in a mess of holiday-themed buttons and wool. I love the way that no matter what your size, a sweater will instantly add 10lbs to your waist.

Perhaps what I love most about these sweaters is the way that they bring people together, the way they allow you to laugh at yourself, the way they allow others to laugh at you.

Throughout the year (especially around the holidays), we tend to get caught up in the details; "Did I remember to get a gift for Uncle Marty?", "Did I remember to invite everyone to the holiday party?", "What will Aunt Ginger think of my holiday cookies?".

When you wear an ugly Christmas sweater, those concerns seem to disappear. The struggles of making ends meet in a down -economy temporarily fade. The pressure of keeping up appearances is put on hold.

When you wear an ugly Christmas sweater, you have permission, to smile, to laugh, to be yourself.

Looking forward to coming holidays, I hope we can all make a resolution to approach everyday as if we were wearing a delightfully tacky Christmas sweater.

May your holiday be filled with the warmness of peace, joy, contentment, and ugly Christmas sweaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment